Friday, January 30, 2009

Best concert EVER

I went out to dinner and a concert with my sister for her birthday. I didn't even know who we were going to see, I was just along for the ride, to help celebrate my sis's big day. The concert was really good, and I enjoyed it - despite feeling really old as I stood in the mosh pit with my sister and her two girlfriends, in my work clothes, holding my wool jacket and purse. Yes indeed, I felt old. While it was a great mellow concert at a cool San Francisco venue, it was not the best concert EVER.

But it did make me think of other concert experiences I've had...

Like my first concert ever. Summer of 1983. Rick Springfield. I went with my best girlfriend, Tina. And her Dad. I think we were like 15. He just sat there looking pretty bored, while Tina and I danced, sang and screamed the night away to the ohsobeautiful Rick. To this day, whenever I hear Jessie's Girl, I think about that glorious night.

Then there was the best concert I have EVER been to. Fall of 2001. Matchbox 20, and Train. I loved every single song they played that night. I knew every word, and sang my heart out to all of them. I felt like I could have gone up on stage and taken over - you know, if they had gotten tired or something. The weather was still warm, an Indian summer, and it was an outdoor venue in the middle of nowhere. And it rained. I'm not talking a little sprinkle, it absolutely poured. But no one cared. A lot of people were making raincoats out of trash bags, but not us. We just let the rain come down and soak our clothes all the way through. It was almost a religious experience - like I was being baptised by the music. In the middle of the show, there was this gorgeous lightning storm - that almost forced them to stop the concert. But they didn't. They told the audience that if we were sticking around, so would they. Then they played the song, "3am"...

And she only sleeps when its raining
And she screams
And her voice is straining

And she says, baby, it's 3am, I must be lonely
When she says, baby
Well I can't help but be scared of it all sometimes
And the rain's gonna wash away I believe it


It.was.perfect.


What was your first concert? How about the best concert you've ever been to?

10 comments:

For Myself said...

I'm pretty sure David Gray wants me, because I swear he sang his whole concert right to me.

Also, James Taylor told me I've got a friend.

And when I was about seventeen, Eric Clapton couldn't stop staring at me as he told me I look wonderful tonight.

I'm pretty sure this is the way it happened?

Melissa said...

As a child in the late '70's, I was taken to quite a few concerts with my parents, because this was when you didn't need to take out a second mortgage to see a concert. Anyway, so I'd get dragged to see....

Neil Diamond.


I wish I was kidding.


But the best concert was the last Barenaked Ladies concert I went to. Outdoors, small venue, good friends, what more could you ask for? :)

Saved by Grace said...

Boston, MA, late 80s Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (OMD). Small venue (about 200) with former boyfriend. Very cool, very alternative.

Another favorite: Amy Grant, ARCO arena (bic lighter moment)

Priceless: a certain HAP singing into her hairbrush in her dorm room

2 Brits, 2 Yanks, 2 Dogs said...

I went to see Matchbox Twenty a few years ago in San Jose and Santana joined them on stage and sang "Smooth" that was very cool.

I am lucky to have seen so many concerts with quite an eclectic taste in music - a few of my favorites were: No Doubt, David Bowie, Housemartins (this was pretty memorable as my first concert without parents), Luther Vandross, Lenny Kravitz, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Guana Batz and The Pretenders. These were the stand outs.

In the 80's I went to see a U2 in their Joshua Tree concert and there was so much hype beforehand I was a little disappointed with their performance, I am sure they were just having a bad day but it was a real let down for me personally. The support bands were so much better that day.

Kirsten said...

Gypsy Kings or Steve Miller Band

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure my first concert was Pseudo Echo when I was 14. My friend and I got there early and were standing up the front when it started - in prime position for being crushed against the barriers when the concert started and the crowd surged forward. It was a little scary, until two enormous, fully badged motorcycle gang members came to our rescue.
Actually I am not sure which was scarier. But at least we didn't get squashed. When the concert finished we thanked the two gentlemen nicely and *ran* home.

Maggie said...

First concert was I think in 1994 to see The Queers at the Middle East in Cambridge (that sounds really bizarre now) or it was the New Bomb Turks at the same club. Best concert - probably one of the myriad New Bomb Turks shows I've been to, or maybe Violent Femmes in Paris in 2000, or Jay-Z in 2003, or Interpol in 2008.

Anonymous said...

My first real concert was Vince Gill, and it TOTALLY SUCKED. I haven't listened to him since.

The best concert I've ever been to was Tim McGraw/Kenny Chesney.

And WOW that sounds like I'm a big fan of country!

Issa said...

Ohh I saw Matchbox 20 and Train too. That was a great concert.

First was actually Billy Vera and the Beaters when I was six. In a night club. Parenting Fail on my dads part, but I had a blast. Second was New Kids on the Block when I was 9.

Best ever is a tie between the last Dixie Chicks tour and Kenny Chesney, because the boy has mad skills at his shows.

anymommy said...

First was Violent Femmes I think. Best? I'm not sure right away. I'm embarrassed to admit that I adored Billy Joel in concert!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs