Tuesday, January 20, 2009

In awe

It's inauguration day. Despite my Mom's continual questioning, "I wonder if they'll pick up my trash today?", it's not a national holiday. Obama is one of many before him to be sworn in as President of the United States. I have friends who are taking it in stride and some who don't really even see anything all that historic about today. I have friends who were not even all that impressed with Obama's letter to his daughters. Not all of my friends, but some of them.

I.am.in.awe.

I can only imagine what it is like to be African American today. It has been such a long journey to come to this point, and that fact should not be overlooked. Yet, even though he is the first black President, and that means so much to so many people, at the same time - he truly is the President for everyone. I think he represents America's ability to finally look past the color of one's skin.

For me, Obama becoming our President represents change, hope, unity and inspiration in a time of great challenge. Let's hope that America embraces the idea that Obama spoke to tonight, that it's not he alone who will effect change - it's up to all of us.

7 comments:

rachel... said...

I hope so, too.

And I hope he can change the opinions of those who may still not be ready to "look past the color of one's skin".

America is welcoming Obama and ready for the changes he can bring about, but it will still be a daunting task.

Renee said...

Even though it seems like today is anyother day, I'd like to think that yesterday's events changed everyone just a little bit.

PsychMamma said...

Amen. :-)

Donna said...

I agree. What a historic day, not just for our country, but the world. I blogged about it too, and took pictures and videos of my 3 year old watching the swearing in so he could always have a piece of this historic day!

2 Brits, 2 Yanks, 2 Dogs said...

I couldn't of said it better myself.

Anonymous said...

Obama is bringing sexy back.

For Myself said...

My heart is so full today because I am hopeful where I used to be forlorn.
This is an icredible thing to watch unfold!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs