Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thankful Thursday

Today, I am thankful for moments that bring back great memories.

My husband is in France right now for work. I know, poor him. He texted me from a restaurant where he is eating French Onion soup. All the sudden, I was transported back in time, to a trip we took to France. Way before we had kids, we went on a European vacation with another couple (my husband's best friend S and S's wife C) to Italy, Switzerland and France. It was so amazing and so much fun to be there with friends too.

We have so many memories from that trip. One of them was, on our first night in Paris, we had dinner at this restaurant very close to the Eiffel Tower. They had the best French Onion soup EVER! It was seriously so good, that we all had the soup for dessert too. And then we went back to the same restaurant for that soup the next night. And the next night. Quite the worldly travelers we were...going to the same place over and over again, when we were in Paris for God's sake!

After our fourth attempt at going back for dinner, the little place was closed that night. My husband and I were actually a little relieved. At that point, as good as the soup was, we were ready for something different. Our friend S, however, was not at all pleased. He had his heart set on that soup, and was then on a mission to find somewhere else in Paris that served French Onion soup. When S gets something in his head, there's no stopping him. That's probably one of the reasons he and my husband are such good friends. They have that in common...

No problem, right? It is France. Doesn't every restaurant serve French Onion soup? Apparently not. We walked all over Paris that night - laughing our head's off - looking for a place that had French Onion soup on the menu. The only place was this all seafood restaurant. Suffice to say, the soup there was not the caliber of the little place next to the Eiffel Tower.

My husband is sitting at that little place right at this very moment, eating that wonderful soup, and I can almost taste it myself. He says it's exactly the same.

3 comments:

Marinka said...

That's fantastic. And cool how technology brings the soup and the memory just a little bit closer!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I wish I could be there too. No, not with your husband. Maybe in the same restaurant but across the room?
If I knew what he looked like I might even wave, in between slurps of delicious french onion soup.

Kirsten said...

Must have been some damn good soup to eat the three nights in a row in PARIS for God's sake. Hello!!!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs