Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Leading with my heart

In my effort to do a little self healing, I've been doing some intense yoga sessions the past few days. I've only been practicing yoga the past six months or so, but I swear it's what got me through that last few tough months at work.

Aside from the obvious physical benefits, I've gotten so much out of yoga spiritually. One theme that seems to run through a lot of my classes as we're going through different poses, is the idea of leading with your heart, instead of your head. Leading with your heart opens up your body and your mind.

In tonight's class, I was working on getting into a full wheel back bend pose for the first time. I was following the direction of the instructor, but I could not even get on top of my head, much less push my arms up into the bend. I really didn't believe I could do this pose. I just wasn't ready, it was too soon for me. But in tonight's small private session, the instructor kept working with us and having us try again and again. Each time, tweaking just a little, and getting just a little further into the pose. Then she assisted each of us, holding and lifting us up, so we could feel what it was like to be there. And again, she had us try on our own. Until finally, I actually got my head off the ground and lifted myself into the pose.

Leading with my heart, in that moment, I knew that yes - everything will be alright.

Have I cried yet? No. But it will come. In it's time, and most likely it will take me by surprise. And again, with a few adjustments and some assistance from friends, I'll know that everything will be alright.

7 comments:

Renee said...

Good for you. Keep leading with your heart and everything will be alright.

Sophie, Inzaburbs said...

Thinking of you Kari - you'll get there!

Very impressed by the full wheel back bend pose!

Christy said...

I'm proud of you! Go Kari!

And also, I love that picture of your girls at the top of your side bar - I just noticed it, and it's so cute!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I've always wanted to try yoga again... I went to one class in my 20s and I don't think it was the right one for me. I just wrote it off - but really, I hear such good things...

Glad to hear you have things that help bring you some moments of peace.

Saved by Grace said...

Awesome!

Janeen T, aka: Ben's Mommy said...

ohhhh, wheel is so damn hard! good for you! i'd help you if i was closer. there are so many wonderful heart opening poses. keep it up.

anymommy said...

This is all you can do. What a beautiful phrase to live by. I know you will make it through, and the tears are a part of that.

Also, I adore yoga, I know it's such a cliche, but I'm never more relaxed than when I'm going to classes.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs